Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Old Friend

Just like and old friend, the kind that is your best friend, you pick back up where you left off.  You haven't seen or heard from them in a long time.  But when you see their face and hear their voice it all comes rushing back. Usually it's awkward at first, and there's some catching up that needs to be done.  There's also the inevitable acknowledgement that things have changed.  And there is at least one opportunity to say "I'm sorry" for being a bad friend and not keeping in touch better.

I think at one point or another, we go through this.   It's part of life.  It's perfectly normal to let someone or something go, and then seize and opportunity to pick up the pieces, where ever those pieces are, and start again.  That's how I feel about writing.  It's like this long lost friend that I just love spending so much time with.  In fact, I haven't reconnected with this old friend of mine for all the reasons we don't reconnect with any of our old friends: time and necessity. I think certain people are part of our lives for a specific time and specific purpose. Wether we are to pour into them or we are to be poured into.  Some friends are to come along side you and walk through stretches of life together.

In any sort, that's exactly my heart about my writing.  I know it's something I want to do, and that God has called me to do it.  I have a story to tell, just like any of us do, and God has called us to share it.  There is no mistake to my circumstances or experiences, and I know that by my writing I'm able to get this story out there.  This is a story of me.  It's of accomplishment, disappointment, hope, and even sorrow.  I believe that's the same as any of your stories as well.

I'm now intending to take time to write, out of love and necessity.  When I write, I think better, I process my thoughts better, and I am able to see different perspectives again.  I also simply love to do it. That part is hard to explain. How do I explain my love of music and playing my flute? How do I explain my love for teaching?  How do I explain my love for my husband or my daughter? It's just one of those things I guess.

So, please.  Forgive me, for not being around, and not staying in touch.  Can we pick up where we left off? I know it will be a little awkward at first, and yes-things have changed.  All of it will come rushing back, I hope.  Thanks, old friend!

1 comment: